Friday, March 1, 2013

Do you see the Media Companies?

I've been doing a bit of teaching for a while now and also a few sessions in office and I have an interesting observation about how people see certain organisations. I have for long maintained a point of view on Google and Facebook. Its starts with a fairly simple test - what kind of an organisation is Google? The most often repeated answer is "search engine", so then I push it a further - I said "Organisation" the brand Google maybe a "search engine" the organisation surely isn't, after various answers like "technology", "Software", "communication" I give them my answer. Google to me is a media organisation, their revenues stream in from "advertising" it is what funds their "technology". The develop faster search engines, more customization, maps,  a new OS for phones, a new phone, the glass and everything - so that they KNOW YOU better, that way the advertising and the content dished out to you is the MOST relevant content at that point. They develop media and newer media to know where you are, who is your friend and everything else for one sole purpose - advertising. Which is what enables google to keep, its blog, youtube, mail and everything else free. The same logic applies to facebook as well. They too are a media company infact quite apt - social media. Whatever these companies do, it is to generate more avenues of knowing an individual better to advertise better.Period.

No comments: